How to get hired at a Top Salon
Ever wonder what it takes to get hired at a top salon?
What They’re Looking For: The top Salons receive hundreds of applications a week, but they only interview and hire a few of those individuals because they are looking for people who can handle the responsibilities of a real career. They look for talented, motivated individuals who love interacting with people and possess a desire to change lives.
- The candidate should look like a professional hairdresser: fashionable, not trendy.
- Do some homework about the Salon. A good place to start would be a look at their Web site or visit one of the salons as a client before interviewing.
- You should want to work on a team; “stars” need not apply. Everyone’s job is important and everyone shares the credit.
- Don’t worry about how much you know, they will teach you their systems, but you must have a willingness to learn.
- You can’t get to the top without starting at the bottom.
- Don’t tell us you’re a hard worker, show us by not being afraid of long hours, dirty jobs, or challenges.
- Be enthusiastic. Come early, wear a smile, tell us about yourself and why you would be a good fit.
- If you’re looking for something short-term, don’t waste your time or theirs. They want someone who is willing to commit for the long term (5 or more years)
Another thing to consider is your tools. It is likely that you received a pair of hair styling shears from your beauty school, but they are not meant to last any longer than the few months you are in cosmetology school receiving your training. Once you graduate, it is very important to purchase your first pair of hair cutting scissors, and any other tools you may need (hair-dryer, irons, etc.) before you apply to a Top Salon. Investing in a high quality pair of Styling Shears is a necessary investment that all hairdressers face. Choosing cheap, inferior tools can reflect on what type of hair stylist you are. Salon owners will look at your tools and see how you take care of them. Don’t get caught with your tools out of order….
- How to Get Into Hairdressing or Barbering
- Finding the Right Salon Supplies
- 10 Ways to Get the Career in Hairdressing That You Want
- Must Have Hair Tools For Any Salon